Have you heard the phrase “you are what you eat?” Are you aware that the foods you consume can affect more than just your body but your oral health as well? At New Smiles Dental, we want to help you achieve overall health and wellness, too! There are many foods that can help you improve or maintain your oral health to ensure healthy teeth and gums.
Below are just a few of the more commonly suggested top foods for a healthy smile:
- Fresh fruits and vegetables. Fruits and veggies are loaded with essential vitamins. Eating a variety of produce can help keep your gums strong, fight bacteria that cause tooth decay, and even freshen your breath. If you are looking for the most nutrient-rich fruits and vegetables for oral health, focus on dark leafy greens like spinach and kale, oranges, apples, carrots, celery, and bell peppers.
- Dairy products. Dairy products contain essential minerals like calcium that helps keep teeth strong. Milk is especially beneficial since it contains casein protein which binds to tooth enamel to help protect against acid erosion from plaque bacteria. Other recommended dairy products include cheese which helps increase saliva production to protect teeth from acidic foods; yogurt, which helps promote good bacteria in the mouth; and cottage cheese, which is high in phosphorus to help strengthen teeth.
- Nuts and seeds. Nuts and seeds are high in calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, potassium, and other minerals that are essential for strong bones and healthy teeth. They also contain vitamin E, which can help protect gums from inflammation caused by plaque buildup. Walnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, chia seeds, and flaxseeds are all excellent choices for oral health.
- Water. Water is essential for staying hydrated but can also be beneficial for your oral health. Drinking water throughout the day helps rinse away food particles which can lead to tooth decay as well as address problems such as dry mouth or bad breath.
What At-home Steps Can I Take To Keep My Teeth and Gums Healthy?
In addition to focusing on a healthy diet and proper nutrition, there are a few more ways in which you can care for your smile for optimum oral health:
- Brush your teeth and gums at least twice each day
- Floss your teeth at least once each day
- Visit your dentists when problems arise
- Attend cleanings and evaluations every six months or more
Request an Appointment at New Smiles Dental
If you reside in or around the Sherwood, OR area and want to speak to our dentists at New Smiles Dental about caring for your smile with proper nutrition and oral health habits, call 503-925-9595 to schedule a visit with our team.