Many parents are unsure as to how they can care for their children’s smiles. Babies and infants require dental care even when they experience the eruption of their first tooth. By setting a proper foundation for children at an early age, most parents can ensure a lifetime of beautiful smiles! Dr. Nathan Doyel and the team at New Smiles Dental encourage parents to ask our team about proactive ways to help their children enjoy healthy teeth and gums.
WAYS TO HELP YOUR CHILDREN MAINTAIN HEALTHY TEETH AND GUMS
Below are just a few tips and recommendations from Dr. Nathan Doyel and his team at New Smiles Dental to ensure proper oral health throughout infancy and childhood:
- Clean baby teeth with a damp washcloth after they have had a bottle or breastfed, as anything left on their teeth can contribute to dental caries.
- Avoid putting your child to bed with a bottle that has milk, formula, or juice. If your child desires a bottle at bedtime, only offer water.
- Encourage the use of a cup after the age of approximately 6 months when your child can sit up and has proper neck control.
- As soon as your baby’s first tooth erupts through the gums, schedule their first dental appointment at New Smiles Dental. Then, follow-up with routine dental visits every six months afterward.
- Encourage children to enjoy healthy snacks and meals, reducing or even eliminating starchy, sticky, or sweet foods and beverages. Candies, sodas, and fruit juice drinks are high in sugars and acids that can contribute to tooth decay.
- Set a good example for your children by taking care of your own smile and enjoying a healthy diet.
LEARN MORE ABOUT THE CARE OF YOUR CHILDREN’S SMILES!
At New Smiles Dental in Sherwood, Oregon, we encourage parents to take a proactive approach to educating their children in how to care for their smiles. If you are interested in learning more about ways to keep your child’s dental health a top priority, call our office at (503) 925-9595 to schedule an appointment. We are committed to providing parents and children with the best possible care to ensure healthy teeth and gums for a lifetime!