There are many situations during which a patient may consider the advantages of manual tooth extraction. One of the more common reasons is due to problems associated with the third molars, or “wisdom teeth.” The wisdom teeth are the last teeth in the mouth that erupt through the gumline. It typically occurs in the late teen or early adult years. Because these teeth develop last, there is often not enough room for them to erupt. This causes them to become impacted in many of our patients. If they do develop past the gumline, they sometimes cause overcrowding of the smile, unwanted misalignment, or contribute to the development of cavities and periodontal disease because of their location in the far back of the mouth. Because of these common issues, many patients choose to have their wisdom teeth removed by a dental professional.
WHAT SHOULD I DO TO PREPARE FOR WISDOM TOOTH EXTRACTION?
Many patients worry about what they can expect with the removal of the wisdom teeth. However, the team at New Smiles Dental is here to put your mind at ease! Dr. Nathan Doyel believes in providing the best possible care and ensuring patient comfort throughout. Below are a few things you can do to prepare for your extraction appointment:
- Ask if treatment will be surgical or non-surgical, as this can impact your recovery time and overall experience.
- Take prescribed medications as directed, unless the doctor has advised you to stop taking them prior to oral surgery.
- Arrange for transportation to and from your appointment, especially when IV sedation or oral conscious sedation is used for the procedure.
- Ask about sedation options available to ensure comfort.
- Have soft foods ready to eat at home following your procedure, including yogurt, soup, ice cream, or scrambled eggs.
ARE YOU IN NEED OF DENTAL EXTRACTION?
If you are experiencing problems with your third molars and are considering extraction, now is the time to connect with the team at New Smiles Dental to request a consultation appointment. The Sherwood, OR area practice is conveniently located at 17680 SW Handley, Ste 101 and can be reached by phone to schedule a visitat (503) 925-9595.