How should I prepare for surgical tooth extraction?
- Posted on: Dec 15 2019
Drs. Nathan Doyel, Ben Aanderud, and Ashley Bennett of New Smiles Dental in Sherwood, OR provide solutions for patients in and around the area, including dental extractions. There are two types of extraction that are performed in our practice, including simple extraction and surgical extraction. Simple extraction is done when the natural tooth is above the gum line and is removed without cutting into the gums. Surgical extraction is more invasive, and requires the dentist to get underneath the gum line to remove a tooth. Patients who are undergoing surgical tooth extraction often have questions for our team, such as how to prepare for their procedure.
Why might I need a tooth extracted?
There are many situations that may warrant the removal of an adult tooth. They include:
- Disease that has rendered a tooth unsavable
- Trauma or injury to the tooth that cannot be repaired
- Preparing for full dentures or orthodontic treatment
- Impacted teeth that have not come through the gum line
- Wisdom tooth removal when putting smile’s health at risk
How to prepare for surgical tooth extractions
Patients who are scheduled for a surgical extraction at New Smiles Dental are encouraged to consider many of the following preparatory recommendations:
- Wear comfortable clothes to your appointment to make it easier for preparing IV sedation
- Take your prescribed medications unless your dentist has advised you not to do so
- Ask the dentist when you can eat before your procedure and how it affects your choice of sedation
- Have a friend or family member transport you to and from your appointment as you will be unable to drive
- Ask questions to your dentist before the procedure to fully understand what to expect from the extraction
- Have foods available at home that you can eat that are soft, such as yogurt, scrambled eggs, soup, and ice cream
- ick up any prescribed medications such as pain medication or antibiotics that are prescribed by the dentist to take following the procedure
Call New Smiles Dental today!
If you are considering tooth extraction, we welcome you to book a consultation visit with Drs. Nathan Doyel, Ben Aanderud, and Ashley Bennett of Sherwood, OR. The practice can be reached at (503) 925-9595 and is located at 17680 SW Handley Street, Suite #101.
Posted in: General Dentistry