Are you still following your New Year’s Day resolution? Or have you fallen off the wagon? Regardless, one resolution you can make at any time of the year is the goal of taking better care of your oral health! At New Smiles Dental in Sherwood, OR, we educate patients regularly on the importance of good oral hygiene habits. With a healthy smile, patients can eliminate the risks of periodontal disease, tooth decay, and other problems that can lead to expensive dental visits.
Ways to improve oral health
Patients who are interested in taking good care of their smile can learn about the many ways they can maintain better oral health:
- Brushing. Brushing the teeth after every meal, even snacks, is vital to removing acids and sugars from the surfaces of the teeth and gums that can contribute to the development of infection and decay.
- Flossing. Flossing after every meal is desirable, though once a day is sufficient for most patients who are brushing several times a day. Flossing removes food particles that can become trapped between the teeth.
- Mouthwash. After brushing, or between brushing, patients can use mouthwashes approved by the American Dental Association to keep the breath fresh and offer an extra layer of protection against decay and disease.
- Visiting the dentist. The American Dental Association strongly recommends visiting the dentist every six months for a full, comprehensive evaluation and dental cleaning. If any problems are spotted during these visits, they can be properly diagnosed and treated for early and successful intervention.
- Diet. Patients should limit sugars and acids in their diet, which can contribute to cavities. This includes eliminating or reducing consumption of sodas, teas, alcohol, and acidic fruits.
- Stop smoking. Those who smoke put themselves at risk of developing oral cancer and other concerns. When patients stop smoking, they are being proactive about not only their oral health, but their overall health and wellbeing as well.
Call New Smiles Dental today
Sherwood, OR area patients who are interested in learning more about oral health care and hygiene tips are welcome to start working with our dentists to develop a treatment plan to achieve and maintaining good oral health and wellness. The office is located at 17680 SW Handley, Suite 101 and can be reached by phone to book an appointment at (503) 925-9595.